Welcome to the page of the District Safeguarding Officer. This is the place to get information and access resources on how to we protect vulnerable people in the Methodist Church.
My name is Donald Urquhart and I am the District Safeguarding Officer. It is my responsibility to assist congregations to make the Church and the Church communities safe places for everyone but, in particular, for those who are vulnerable. I work to ensure that we all comply with the various legal requirements that relate to protecting the vulnerable with a particular focus on the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme and PVG related issues. I also provide support and advice on dealing with safeguarding matters and risk assessments.
I am supported in this work by the Circuit and Local Church Safeguarding Officers and the members of the District Taking Care Group, the Safeguarding Advisory Group chaired by Jenni Barr.
However, it is important to remember that it is everyone’s responsibility to protect the vulnerable and everyone working in and attending services in the Methodist Church has an important part to play in developing a safe and supportive culture within the Church that protects everyone, regardless of the nature of their vulnerability. Together we can ensure that the Methodist Church is a safe place for people to come and worship and, when concerns are identified, they are dealt with properly and promptly.
Donald Urquhart, District Safeguarding Officer – Tel – 07702-793553 email@example.com
- Safeguarding Children (amended for Scotland and Shetland Districts)
- Safeguarding Adults (amended for Scotland and Shetland Districts)
- Implementing the PVG (Scotland) Act 2007 – Guidance (2014)
- Practice Guidelines Domestic Abuse
- Safer Recruitment Guidance for Scotland (2014)
- Keeping and maintaining safeguarding records
- Who to contact in the event of an emergency
- Guidance on handling media enquiries
- Child Protection and the Law
- Adult Protection and the Law
- Model Church Policies Revised for Scotland and Shetland Districts