Gary Williams is one of three Regional Learning and Development Officers employed in Scotland. His remit includes children and young people. His work includes
- supporting our youth forum (a gathering of practitioners who organise events including youth weekends)
- providing support for training and development events
- supporting churches and circuits bidding for funds to employ youth workers and run activities and events for young people
- liaising with and working in partnership with denominations and other ecumenical groups and institutions
- supporting the broader work of the connexion e.g. the youth assembly – 3 Generate.
He can be contacted at email@example.com for general advice on childrens and youth work.
Resources for Youth & Community work
Methodist Church in Britain website for work with children and young people – http://childrenandyouth.org.uk/
Core Skills training material for workers with Children and Families can be found on the Consultative Group on Ministry among Children website.
The Step It Up materials were produced to support development work with young people in youth work settings across Scotland. The materials are based on a set of social and emotional competences, which derive from the purpose of youth work and are highly relevant to the kind of learning which young people gain in youth work settings.
Toolkits – a larger number of resources
‘Benefits on both sides’ – a dvd resource for developing effective children’s and youth projects.
‘Benefits of both Sides’ is a dvd resource produced by the Methodist Church in partnership with ‘AMAZE‘ – the association of Christian youth and children’s workers. The resource consists of 7 studies which are designed to lead you through the process for setting up a Children’s or youth Project. Complete with workbook, it is designed for use by church leadership groups of small working groups who are considering the options for setting up or developing effective children/youth projects and considering employing children’s youth workers as part of the project.
Video versions of the topics:
- Introduction to employing a children’s/youth worker
- Setting up the project
- Management Groups
- Recruitment and selection
- Induction, supervision, mentoring, appraisal and non-management support
- Dealing with conflict
- Personal and interpersonal skills
You can borrow a copy of the dvd from the district office – contact firstname.lastname@example.org.