The Christian Aid Scotland team would like to invite you and your Christian Aid community to join us at the Gatherings 2019.
We will be hosting Gathering events in Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Join staff and supporters at a venue near you and find out how we can give, act and pray together in 2019.
Jeanne Kamara, Christian Aid’s country manager in Sierra Leone, will join us to celebrate how her team is transforming people’s lives by standing up to poverty and injustice.
You’ll also get the chance to learn more about Christian Aid’s key issues and how the money you raise is spent.
Let’s stand together to raise awareness, to raise money and to raise our voices against injustice.
Keynote Speakers :
Rev Shaun Lambert
Richard H H Johnston
Dr Rob Waller
Heather Churchill (from CWR)
Rev Scott Brennan
Rev Kenny Borthwick
Extra Early Bird Ticket Price Available Now.
Very Rev Dr Russell Barr, Associate Convener of Scottish Churches Housing Action, has been working with the Scottish Government’s Homelessness & Rough Sleeping Action Group. Attend his presentation that will look at the HARSAG report’s associated challenge to the church and third sector organisations, as well as to the Government and all those tackling homelessness.
The presentation will take place at 12 noon on Friday 28 September at the Church of Scotland Offices, 121 George Street, Edinburgh.
It will be followed by a buffet lunch around 1pm and the AGM of Scottish Churches Housing Action at 2pm.
All are welcome. Please inform Lauren Forbes if you wish to attend, and if so whether you will attend the presentation at 12, the AGM at 2pm, or both – and whether you will join SCHA for lunch. Please mention any dietary requirements. Email or phone 0131 477 4500.
The event planned for 25th August has been cancelled. A further similar event may be arranged for later in the year.
First opportunities for those in Scotland and Shetland to attend the new Advanced Module training are:
Sat 1st September Glasgow, Shettleston Methodist Church
Wed 3rd October Edinburgh
Sat 6th October Peterhead Methodist Church
The course is split in to three parts:-
- Essential preparation (1 hr 30 mins)
- Core training session (4 hrs)
- Handbook (a resource for further study)
All sessions will run from 10.30am-3.30pm with coffee/tea and registration from 10am. Lunch will be provided.
All those wishing to attend should contact Lorraine Darlow at email@example.com with choice of location. Details of venue will be sent with the essential preparation pack for reading/completing before the core training day.
We hope to offer other dates for Advanced Module training early 2019. The safeguarding development day will be Sat 9th March 2019 in Stirling.
A reminder of all who should attend the Advanced Module is below.
Core List – Required Attendance
- Safeguarding coordinator – Circuit
- Safeguarding Officer – District
- Members of the District Safeguarding Group
- Members of the District Policy Committee
- All presbyters or deacons with an active preaching or pastoral ministry including those supernumerary ministers who have pastoral care of a church
- Those who are in paid employment or a voluntary role which includes leadership within the Methodist Church, which involves direct work with children, youth or vulnerable adults
- Lay persons who are appointed to exercise pastoral leadership within a local church
- Local preachers
- Worship leaders
- Safeguarding officer – church
Warmly invited but not mandatory
- Supernumerary ministers apart from those who have pastoral care of a church
- It has not been possible to create a standard list. There should not be too many varied roles and responsibilities represented at the training since the material focuses on leadership responsibilities rather than general safeguarding awareness. However there needs to be flexibility for inclusion where this would be helpful. This decision making should form part of the responsibility of the District Safeguarding Group when planning the provision of Advanced Module day sessions across the District.
version with live links There is no charge for attendance; tea and coffee will be served.
The Solas Festival 2018 takes place at the Bield in Perth between June 22nd and June 24th. Solas is an arts festival with a focus on justice. It has its roots in the Christian tradition and we Methodists have had a presence at the festival for a number of years, focused mainly on our tent which provides space for reflection, conversation and welcome.
This year is no different and if you would like to volunteer at the festival and receive a free day or weekend ticket in return, please contact Lorraine Darlow, firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more. A limited number of free day tickets for first-time festival goers are also available, as are a number of free tickets for young people and youth leaders.
To find out more about Solas, visit www.solasfestival.co.uk