First opportunities for those in Scotland and Shetland to attend the new Advanced Module training are:
Sat 1st September Glasgow
Wed 3rd October Edinburgh
Sat 6th October Peterhead
The course is split in to three parts:-
- Essential preparation (1 hr 30 mins)
- Core training session (4 hrs)
- Handbook (a resource for further study)
All sessions will run from 10.30am-3.30pm with coffee/tea and registration from 10am. Lunch will be provided.
All those wishing to attend should contact Lorraine Darlow at firstname.lastname@example.org with choice of location. Details of venue will be sent with the essential preparation pack for reading/completing before the core training day.
We hope to offer other dates for Advanced Module training early 2019. The safeguarding development day will be Sat 9th March 2019 in Stirling.
A reminder of all who should attend the Advanced Module is below.
Core List – Required Attendance
- Safeguarding coordinator – Circuit
- Safeguarding Officer – District
- Members of the District Safeguarding Group
- Members of the District Policy Committee
- All presbyters or deacons with an active preaching or pastoral ministry including those supernumerary ministers who have pastoral care of a church
- Those who are in paid employment or a voluntary role which includes leadership within the Methodist Church, which involves direct work with children, youth or vulnerable adults
- Lay persons who are appointed to exercise pastoral leadership within a local church
- Local preachers
- Worship leaders
- Safeguarding officer – church
Warmly invited but not mandatory
- Supernumerary ministers apart from those who have pastoral care of a church
- It has not been possible to create a standard list. There should not be too many varied roles and responsibilities represented at the training since the material focuses on leadership responsibilities rather than general safeguarding awareness. However there needs to be flexibility for inclusion where this would be helpful. This decision making should form part of the responsibility of the District Safeguarding Group when planning the provision of Advanced Module day sessions across the District.
version with live links There is no charge for attendance; tea and coffee will be served.
The Solas Festival 2018 takes place at the Bield in Perth between June 22nd and June 24th. Solas is an arts festival with a focus on justice. It has its roots in the Christian tradition and we Methodists have had a presence at the festival for a number of years, focused mainly on our tent which provides space for reflection, conversation and welcome.
This year is no different and if you would like to volunteer at the festival and receive a free day or weekend ticket in return, please contact Lorraine Darlow, email@example.com to find out more. A limited number of free day tickets for first-time festival goers are also available, as are a number of free tickets for young people and youth leaders.
To find out more about Solas, visit www.solasfestival.co.uk
Through key note speakers, case studies and workshops, the 2018 Germinate Conference will explore what it means for rural Christians to do more than belong to their churches and communities. Both inspiring and practical, the day will bring together individuals, churches, agencies and networks involved in rural mission and ministry.
Saturday 13 October 2018
9.30 am – 4 pm
The Welcome Centre, 47 Parkside, Coventry, CV1 2HG
Tickets from £50
Saturday 19 May 2018
11.00 am – 3.00 pm
Pollokshaws Methodist Church
74 Shawholm Crescent, Glasgow, G43 1NY
Speaker: Rev Jackie Bellfield
Theme: “Those Who Wait”
Tickets £8 – include buffet lunch and tea/coffee on arrival
Market Place/Bring and Buy – proceeds to The Congo Appeal
Tickets available in due course from Gail Balfour firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev Jackie Bellfield is a Methodist Minister in the North West of England. Serving the Wirral Circuit Jackie has pastoral charge of three churches, links with an Ecumenical Partnership, and oversees worship development in the Circuit of 22 churches. In addition to serving on various district committees and supporting North West candidates Jackie is a regular broadcaster on Radio Merseyside and a sought after after-dinner speaker. Jackie brings humour and spirituality to life and is passionate about worship and community development.
Please note that Bible Month and Reimagine Training Days have been rescheduled. Bible Month will now take place on Saturday May 12th, and Reimagine will take place on Saturday. June 9th. Timings are slightly different for each event with Bible Month beginning at 10.15, concluding at 15.30, while Reimagine will begin at 10.00 am and conclude at 16.00. Both events are taking place in Perth Methodist Church. Please contact Fiona Inglis to book a place/places and advise of any special dietary requirements.
The Aberdeen and Edinburgh gatherings did not take place on the appointed days because of the snow. Both have been rescheduled.
Aberdeen – Thursday 15th March 10am – 1pm (the venue will remain Holburn West Church)
Edinburgh – Wednesday 28th March 10.45am – 3pm (the venue will remain Augustine United Church)
Please email Glasgow@christian-aid.org if you intend to attend either of these. It would be helpful if those who intended to be there on the original date could clarify whether they are able to attend the rescheduled meeting. And a warm welcome is extended to those who find they can make the new date, but not the old!